Software that has been designed and programmed for a specific function or need is known as Custom application development. The packaged applications are different from custom application because these were designed with a general set of features to be used by a broad range of end users. Custom application development is capable of providing any feature you may desire for your software. Time and money are the only limiting factors.
Underlying possible problems, unavoidable costs and risks may occur while customizing software. Custom developed software has both high cost and high risk. When a client purchase custom developed application, he might have faced the fact that there are some problems from installing the software to adopting it to that client’s needs and purposes. Sometimes it takes time to manage these issues, causing losses of time, efforts and money. But it can be called a “force majeure” as no software solution will ever be able to predict every possible complication.
Custom developed application is often an expensive undertaking. However, it is rare that a pre-developed software solution will be able to meet all of a particular customer’s preferences and requirements as much as a customized software solution.
The Custom application development process includes few factors:
• Detailed analysis of the business needs.
• Preparation of specifications & requirements.
• Initial designing concept
• Testing (verification & validation)
• Providing training & support material to the client
• Ongoing development and maintenance.
Benefits of unique applications to the clients:
• Providing applications that meet the specific needs of their clients business
• Providing applications that are practical, portable and flexible
• Making data available to any location via the internet
• Providing solutions when no store-bought application will suffice
Exemplar e solutions, designs custom software to there client by creating programs on pre developed software. These pre developed software are benefit through the following ways:
• Fewer hours to spend on lengthy assignments
• Easy to solve other complex technical problems
• Engineers will analyze data which is to be customized.
Advantages of customization:
• Customized software is more appropriate and more efficient.
• It has less unneeded functionality
• It is easier to document and support
• It requires less time to be adapted
• It can talk a specific language or jargon
• It does what you want right after you install it.
Disadvantages of Customization
• Customized software has a higher cost
• Know-how is harder to find
• Technical Support is harder to find.
• The development community is smaller.
• There may not be enough resources to develop it further.
• One-time costs are shared by a smaller number of entities.